AngelCube 2012 – The story so far.
Three weeks ago round two of AngelCube kicked off at one of Melbourne’s most successful startups SitePoint (the home of 99Designs, Flippa, Sitepoint and Learnable). It was an epic day, a startup bootcamp of sorts, hosted by AngelCube mentor Tony Mittelmark with a program overview by myself.
The pace definitely hasn’t slowed since. There’s been late nights; countless hours of hard work; hundreds of customer interviews and a lot of time spent building MVP’s; testing assumptions; getting customer feedback and iterating on product and marketing.
There’s also been over 10 mentor sessions including;
- Alan Downie from BugHerd on “Where you should be by demo-day”
- Steve Sammartino on “How to pimp your startup”
- Scott Handsaker from EventArc on “The Lean Canvas“
- Nathan Sampimon on “Creating personas and user stories”
- Adrian Stone on “The intersection of product, market and team”
- Melissa Shawyer from ClickPR ”Creating PR stories, angles and content for mass media”
- Brownwen Clune on “Disruption and creative thinking”
- Jonathon Weinstock on “Pitching and capital raising”
- Diesel Laws on “The importance of UI & UX“
- Joe Ziegler on “AWS and scaling your business in the cloud”
- James Tuckerman – “Gattie Pitches and the four things you need to know about marketing”
- Andrew O’Brien on “Artscrowd’s story, MVP, Capital Raising and Pivoting” and
And a series of milestones that have included
- Developing, testing and refining their business model using the Lean Canvas
- Running problem/solution interviews over 20 real customers
- Creating the “Board-room as bits” style presentations each week
- Developing and testing Non-software MVP’s and Concierge MVP’s
- Pre-selling their products to interested customers
- Developing their investor pipeline and relationships
- Working out key metrics such as COA, APRU, LTV, Churn Rate etc.
and many more.
Overall we feel this has helped their progress dramatically and you only have to read their blog posts such as;
- Week two of AngelCube by David, David and Cyril of Broccol-e-games.
- Week two AngelCube – “Become your product” from Adam and Paul from Giftless and
- Week three AngelCube – Vinspi’s Milestone presentation.
- Brocole-e-gaming’s SpringBird cracking the top 10 in the Education section of the AppStore
- Vinspi’s continued growth, and the forthcoming redesign by the incredibly talented AC mentor Diesel Laws
- KickFolio going from an idea, to having a small group of loyal customers queuing up in less than a week
- PicksterApp moving away from a tough, enterprise sale, low value play to a really exciting marketplace
- Team Giftless relentless approach to customer-solution interviews, which has led them to some fascinating insights.
- FitIntegrate founder Nicola Gracie being recognised as one of the top 10 female tech entrepreneurs to watch in StartupSmart
- The amazing response to AngelCube TV Episode 1 – produced by the super talented Kealey Nutt (hire her if you’re ever doing video!!)
- Starting the year at SitePoint HQ; and enjoying the perfect welcome to the program courtesy of AngelCube friend of the family Leni Mayo.
- And just generally, how well the teams are getting along, collaborating, pushing each other and creating businesses that we’re really excited to be part of.
Alan Downie, Steve Sammartino, Tim Stanford, Scott Handsaker, Nathan Sampimon, Adrian Stone, Melissa Shawyer , Brownwen Clune, Bevan Clark, Jonathon Weinstock, Diesel Laws, Leni Mayo, Mark Harbottle, Joe Ziegler, Pieter Kemps, James Tuckerman, Ned Dwyer, Tom Howard, Fenn Bailey, Dave Slutzskin, Michael Shimmins, Ivan Vanderbyl, Glen Maddern, Anita Lloyd, Nic Hodges, Michael Van de Wiel, Bernie Tschirren, Andrew Twaits, Guy King the awesome Inspire9 community and everyone else that’s contributed via Yammer; come along to an AngelCube event or been roped into a Problem/Solution interview by team Giftless!!
It’s been an awesome start to 2012′s program; and although it’s been intense, we’re really proud of all the teams efforts thus far.
There’s a long-way to go but we’re looking forward to seeing how each of the team’s progress over the coming weeks… Stay tuned AngelCube’rs!